You can enable or disable synchronization for a profile in Microsoft Edge and change its individual settings. Microsoft Edge allows you to sync settings and browsing data, including favorites, preferences, extensions, addresses, history and more. This is done using a Microsoft account that stores data in the cloud and transfers it to your devices.
When you use Edge with your Microsoft account, you can sync your navigation settings and data across multiple devices that you are signed into with the same account. This allows you to sync your favorites, preferences, saved passwords, auto-completion data, extensions and more.
However, the user must have the synchronization option enabled or disabled. It is enabled by default, but you can exclude certain categories of data or disable it completely. In addition, Microsoft may also collect the name, model and manufacturer of your device to identify your devices so that you can sync data between them. Microsoft claims that Edge encrypts all data and sends it over HTTPS. One exception to this is InPrivate and Guest browsing, where no browsing data is stored and nothing is sent to your Microsoft account.
In this article, you will learn how to enable or disable synchronization of your profile in Microsoft Edge and how to change individual synchronization options.
Enabling or disabling profile synchronization in Microsoft Edge
- Open the Edge browser.
- Press the “Settings” key (Alt + F) and select “Settings” from the menu.
- Click on the “Profiles” button on the left.
- In the right part of the window, click the toggle button of the profile for which you want to enable or disable synchronization (if you have multiple profiles).
- Type Sync under the profile name.
- Press the power button to activate the synchronization function.
- Press the “Disable Synchronization” button to disable the enabled option.
There are also options you can change to add or exclude individual items from synchronization.
To change the individual sync settings of a profile in Microsoft Edge.
- Open edge.
- Select “Settings” (Alt+F) from the main menu.
- Under Settings on the left, select Profiles.
- Switch to the desired profile on the right if you have more than one profile.
- Press the Sync item under the profile name.
- Enable or disable each of the synchronization options available for this profile.
By enabling or disabling individual sync settings, you can exclude sending specific data to the cloud. For example, you can exclude settings so that Edge can be configured separately on the desktop and laptop, so that the options are not confusing.
Finally, you can enable or disable data synchronization for all registry users. While the above methods work for your current user account, the option we will explore is related to the edge group policy and affects all user accounts in Windows 10. This can be done through a setting in the system registry.
Disable boundary synchronization for all registry users.
- Close the Microsoft Edge browser.
- Open the registry editor.
- Open the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftEdge. If you do not have this key, just create it manually. See how to open this key directly.
- On the right side, create a new 32-bit DWORD value called SyncDisabled. Note: Even if you are using a 64-bit Windows, you must create a 32-bit DWORD value.
- Set this to 1 to permanently disable Edge Sync for all users.
Note: To undo the above change, simply delete the “SyncDisabled” value you created.
To save time, you can also
Download ready-made registration files
I have prepared two registry files that you can use if you want to avoid manually modifying the registry. They are available here in a ZIP archive :
Download registration files
The ZIP archive contains the following files.
- Disable Synchronization in Microsoft Edge.reg – Use this file to disable the synchronization feature for all users.
- Enable Synchronization in Microsoft Edge.reg – This file overrides the restriction.
Winero is counting on your support. With these options, you can help the site continue to provide you with interesting and useful content and software:
Frequently asked questions
Should I enable or disable synchronization?
If you turn off synchronization, you can still view your bookmarks, history, passwords and other settings on your computer. When you make changes, they are not saved in your Google account and synced to other devices. Turning off sync will also exclude you from other Google services, such as Gmail.
How do I stop synchronization in Microsoft?
You can configure Microsoft Edge to not synchronize the browser group and to not allow users to turn on the “Synchronization Settings” switch in the settings. If you want synchronization to be disabled by default but not turned off, select “Allow users to enable synchronization from the browser” in the “Do not synchronize browsers” policy.
What is synchronization within Microsoft boundaries?
Microsoft Edge Synchronization allows users to access navigation data on all connected devices. Data supported by synchronization includes : Favorites. Passwords. Addresses and others (fill in the form).
disable synchronization of data using microsoft sync services, microsoft edge disable sync gpo, renderercodeintegrityenabled microsoft edge, microsoft edge sync bookmarks, edge non removable profile enabled, edge chromium force sync, microsoft edge enable sync gpo, edge enterprise sync